PDA

View Full Version : Films and Ratings

marvious
25-05-2010, 07:25
I'll get things rolling again.

Avatar - I know this was made for 3D and I didn't see it in 3D but that really shouldn't be a ll a film is about. Sure it looked pretty but that was it. Mediocre acting followed up by lame predictable storyline. If this was a Disney cartoon it would have been alright, but as it is pretty poor in my opinion. 4/10

Book Of Eli - Not a bad film. Some very nice ideas and some excellent cinematography thrown in there. However bit slow to get going and so seemed a little over long. Still not a bad watch. 7/10

Alice in Wonderland - Got to be honest here I was expecting complete tripe. As my expectations were so low it seemed ok to me. Still not brilliant and annoying in places trying to refer back to the "first time" Alice was there. 5/10

Daybreakers - Didn't know anything about this when I watched other than it was about Vampires. Has a nice take on being a vampire and wasn't what I expected. Not the best film you'll ever see but not the worst either. 6/10

plasterer
25-05-2010, 23:06
Just watched the Hurt Locker ,good war film
Bomb Disposal ,7/10................................Paul

marvious
27-05-2010, 07:50
After watching "The Thick of It" we decided to try "In the Loop". Disappointingly didn't get all the way through. Didn't have the same witty banter and nicely developed character's as the series. For some reason or another just didn't work. 5/10

marvious
30-05-2010, 12:31
Let the Right One In - An excellent film. Set in 70's/80's in Sweden about a little boy and the girl next door, but with a twist. And it's a bit fucked up. Not an easy watch but a very well made film. 9/10

leeb1977
01-06-2010, 10:13
Dance Flick - Lisa likes a lot of the dance films that are around at the moment and i love a good spoof. Spoofs since scary movie 2 have ALL been poor imo, so the fact that the wayans brothers had a hand in this raised my expectations quite high. Unfortunatley it failed to deliver on the whole - it DID have some genuinley lol moments, but it was all a bit hit and miss for my liking. A million times better than epic movie / date movie / meet the spartans etc etc etc, but a long way off scary movie 1 & 2, Hot Shots! 1 & 2, Airplane etc etc etc. Overall 5/10.

Law Abiding Citizen. Loved it loved it loved it. didnt know what to expect and i was blown away by it, great cast and someone thats far from the typical 'bad guy'. 9/10.

Lone Wolf McQuade - 7/10 - classic chuck, just re watched it the other night and thought it was great.... cheesy.... but great.

Up - 6.5/10.... better than some of disneys recent efforts by some margin, worth a watch with the kids.

Planet 51 - Dreamworks seem to be churning out quite a few movies that IMO are simply better than the disney pixar efforts just latley.... even better than UP. 7.1/10

Dear John - 2/10. Utter shite... dont bother. Im not the target audience - but even Lisa thought it was shite.

Lovely Bones - 5/10.... not bad, not the best eithier but worth a watch when theres nothing else on.

Avatar - 6.5/10 - Didnt watch it in 3D, watched it on bluray, but thought it was a decent enbough film. The latter half was great IMO. Dont get me wrong its a story thats been done to death over the years.... but well worth a watch imo (despite the fact that its very predictable). Looking at Marvious thoughts im guessng its a marmite film. Personally i expected to hate it before hand and was pleasentley suprised. Worth the hype? No..... but still a very watchable film.

marvious
02-06-2010, 07:05
Unthinkable - Watched this last night. Really not pleasant viewing but pretty good. Showing the lengths to which people will go to get information from terrorists and how attitudes can change. Not something to watch on a Sunday afternoon or whilst eating. - 8/10

ManofScience
02-06-2010, 11:01
Been trying to catch up on a few recently...

Twlight and Twilight : New Moon 6/10 - meh. you must need to be a woman to fully like these. the wife/mother-in-law/7yr old daughter likes them. long, boring, full of moody emos. Not my cup of tea.

Inglorious Basterds 7.5/10 - i love tarantino but with all the hype i was mildy dissapointed with this film. A few cool tarantino style bits but otherwise - deflated.

Kick Ass 6/10 - Proper gutted. Trailer for this looked awesome. Lacked funnies i expected to be in it but some of the fighting was good. left again feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Tooth Fairy 7.5/10 - disney films are always worth watching for a bit of fun with the kids. i love the Rock, he's got so much charisma and manages to full this off really well - compared to vin diesel who's career got buried by doing 'the pacifier'.

ManofScience
02-06-2010, 11:03
Law Abiding Citizen. Loved it loved it loved it. didnt know what to expect and i was blown away by it, great cast and someone thats far from the typical 'bad guy'. 9/10.

shite ending IMO.

leeb1977
02-06-2010, 13:19
You reckon?! I thought it was a great ending. Didnt see how it could have possibly gone any other way.....

Twillight: New Moon - forgot about this one until i read MOS post. 5/10.... average at best. 4 of those marks were simply because Martin Sheen was in it. If your not a woman.... then this isnt the film for you.

marvious
02-06-2010, 19:34
Is there anything out there without Martin Sheen right now?

leeb1977
02-06-2010, 20:29
There's a prison film that Charlie will be in soon.

marvious
02-06-2010, 21:20
You what?

glic83
02-06-2010, 22:13
hes going to serve 30 days in jail for an assualt charge rather than the community service or whatever the other option was

glic83
05-06-2010, 00:25
just watched the book of eli good show 8/10

glic83
06-06-2010, 23:57
2 good movies kick ass 8/10 and un prophete french movie with subs excellent 9/10

marvious
08-06-2010, 15:12
Percy Jackson Lightening thief or whatever it is.....YAWN. 3/10

bigballblue
08-06-2010, 16:13
kick ass 2/10 total waste of time and utter codswollop from start to finish

pimp 8/10 decent film this was quite surprised as danny dyer was in it , bit of a gritty tale of seedy soho but good watch but not when kids around

hot tub time machine 4/10 some funny moments but id looked forward to it for so long and was ineveitably dissapointed

rangerton
08-06-2010, 20:12
The kite runner has subtitles, but a very good film 8/10

Not one for kids

plasterer
08-06-2010, 21:31
Shutter Island
Wot a crock of shit that was ,not even going to rate it piss poor.IMA............Paul

nowuckinfurries
08-06-2010, 21:47
Cheers Paul,

I was going to download that at the weekend but think I'll save my allowance for something else.

marvious
08-06-2010, 23:11
I love you Philip Morris - Wasn't expecting much but I quite enjoyed this. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor star about 2 men falling in love in prison. 8/10

plasterer
09-06-2010, 00:05
Just watched death at a funeral
No good cams going around ,but me and me lad had a good laff at it
Think its a remake of an earlier film .But 6.5 out of ten for me .............Paul

leeb1977
09-06-2010, 14:12
Watched Fast and Furious last night. 6/10. A Million times better than the utter shite that was tokyo drift.... and on a par with the first 2 movies. If you liked them - youll like this. More of the same really... watchable, but never gonna be a classic.

glic83
12-06-2010, 01:13
Unthinkable Samuel L Jackson,7.5/10 some nice violence

glic83
26-07-2010, 21:50
watched 2 over the weekend

Date Night 6/10 funny in parts
The A - Team-even the wife loved this i give it a 9/10 really enjoyed it

bigballblue
26-07-2010, 22:16
grown ups , 7/10 some funny moments and the usuall sandler comedy , well worth a watch

marvious
27-07-2010, 17:08
watched 2 over the weekend

Date Night 6/10 funny in parts
The A - Team-even the wife loved this i give it a 9/10 really enjoyed it

Is the A-Team a good film or is it good cos it's the A-Team?

marvious
23-08-2010, 07:13
The Infidel - not a bad little watch. Pretty easy going with some nice moments. 6/10

plasterer
05-09-2010, 22:54
just watched The Expendables with me lad
And got the suprize of my life .
Thourght is was great 8/10
Exellent copy for sound and pic can be found below,you may need to log in..............Paul

http://www.nzbsrus.com/nzbdetails.php?id=343573

wiz569
05-09-2010, 23:08
Thought it was good myself but it could have been soooo much better,but definitely worth a watch.

ManofScience
09-09-2010, 09:20
Date Night : 7/10 - Steve Carrell is great in any film, good bit of fun. Don't like that woman from 30 rock though.

Grown Ups : 8/10 - Like Sandler too, Chris rock was a bit crap in it, but otherwise a enjoyable, laugh out loud funny in parts, film to watch with the missus.

Expendables : 7/10 - am i the only 1 dissapointed by this? i knew what to expect, action was ok ( no where near as good at A-Team) and you could see it wasn't taking itself seriously - but it was weak.

Prince of Persia : 7/10 - Slow motion action does not make a good film. Good baddies, bit of scareyish fun for the kids but forgettable. i like jake too.

Iron Man 2 : 9/10 - cracking. Downey is ace. Watch right till the end of the credits ;)

Clash of the titans - 7/10 - loved the original for nostalgia, this wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. good bit of fun for the kids, very watchable but only the once.

Toy Story 3 : 9/10 - Hard act to follow, wasn't sure if they could but they did. class. I didn't cry at the end, honest......

phew! been a while since i updated, probably loads i've missed but i seem to go thru phases of watching loads - then none.

dboxnick
09-09-2010, 09:39
Couple or reviews...

Robin Hood - 7/10 Enjoyed it, Crowe does this role well, makes you wanna be the character!!

Grown Ups - 6/10 Was OK, thought it could have been funnier with all the comidians in it!!

Clash Of The Titans - 2/10, Absolute Tosh!!

The Expendables - 6/10 Statham was the best, Storyline was weak & predictable but great action scenes!!

deeboi
09-09-2010, 12:42
Watched Salt last night 7/10 - Good film actually,wee bit far fetched at times but what action movie isn't, deffo worth watching, good little twists.

plasterer
16-10-2010, 20:39
Brooklyn's Finest stars Richard Gere
Just watched this with me lad
Story gets lost half way
But good action at the end 7/10
Back off to Blockbusters with it now ,(yer and am George Bush)............Paul

marvious
18-10-2010, 06:51
Toy Story 3 - Watched this the other night, it was ok. Bit disappointed but probably just down to the hype. It was a nice enough film but nothing special. Not entirely sure what made people cry. 6/10

The A-Team - It was alright. Little disappointed they didn't get it going with the theme tune but understand they were still setting the scene. 4 hard acts to follow but don't feel any one of them pulled it off. 5/10

deeboi
18-10-2010, 08:36
Piranha 2010 - Didn't expect this to be any good, just got it for my nephews to watch. It's like one of those made for TV movies on the Sci-fi channel where the CGI is well over the top and really obvious. The fish were pretty mean looking though.

I would only rate this 5/10 as Kelly Brook's in it in a bikini ;) it was OK but kids would probably get more enjoyment from the storyline of this movie.

I was looking for stuff to d/l yesterday to watch and came across Hawaii Five-O 2010, there's only 4 episodes out just now as it is still being aired in America.
I used to love that in the 70's when i was a kid, hope it's still as good.

plasterer
18-10-2010, 23:49
THE TOWN
Just watched this one bank and security Robberies
Looked good but Quality was shite
But thats cams for you ................Paul

ManofScience
19-10-2010, 10:37
Date Night : 7/10 - Not as funny as expected but quite touching.
Piranha : 4/10 - I expected sh1te but it was worse. 3 points for kelly brook.
The Other Guys : 4/10 - MASSIVE let down, i love Will Ferrell and while there was a handful of funny moments, Serious AND funny at the same time didn't work, Bad Boys does this better.
Knight and Day : 6/10 - Bit cheesy but good fun. Diaz looks OLD and as much as cruise is a weirdo he looks better as he gets older.
Predators : 8/10 - Loads of script/action ripped from the original but still very enjoyable, good that it wasn't set in our planet, made it more believable. Great film.
Land of the Lost : 7/10 - i know others hate this but ferrell makes this film good. brookside lass is fit too. Kids liked it too.
The Hole : 7/10 - Quite scarey for a kids film ! i wasn't scared, honestly. You could tell is was for 3D but still ok on normal telly.
The Last Airbender : 6/10 - i didn't watch all of it, impressive to look at but story was rub, according to my 7yr old daughter. proper barry norman her like...

rangerton
24-10-2010, 00:39
Soloman Kane- pretty much predictable throughout, could have been better IMO 6.5/10

glic83
31-10-2010, 22:42
Inception 10/10 -loved it

plasterer
31-10-2010, 23:02
Inception 10/10 -loved it

Couldent make head or tail of it mate
glad you liked it .................paul

glic83
01-11-2010, 18:58
i loved it the wife on the other hand was a bit lost i had to stop a few times and explain what was happening lol

ManofScience
03-11-2010, 10:20
Inception - 9/10, slick, looked great and so tense towards the end when all the timings were coming together. Interesting ending - i'm starting to quite like dicaprio!

Cupart
03-11-2010, 20:08
Toy Story 3 : 9/10 - Hard act to follow, wasn't sure if they could but they did. class. I didn't cry at the end, honest......

Toy Story 3 - Watched this the other night, it was ok. Bit disappointed but probably just down to the hype. It was a nice enough film but nothing special. Not entirely sure what made people cry. 6/10

I thought Toy Story 3 was great... When Buzz Lightyear turned into a Latino lover it just brought the movie to a new level not to forget Barbie and Ken when he tries on his clothes for her. TS3 is BRILLIANT and defo worth a 9/10 all the way :-)))

marvious
03-11-2010, 22:44
Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind - finally watched this. Found it hard going at the beginning but then I really dislike Winslet. However must say this is an excellent film. 9/10

Let the right one in - can't remember if I put this up before but the adverts recently for "Let Me In" reminded me. This is a stunning film. I urge people to watch the Swedish original before the new English version is released. 10/10

marvious
08-11-2010, 12:40
Inception - got to say I was a bit disappointed with this. Beautifully shot film and some nice moments but basically boiled down to "heist" film rather than making you think about the basis of reality. Found a lot of moments too obvious (won't mention them as to not ruin it for those that haven't seen it). All that said it was well acted (mostly) and it was a semi original story line, so 7/10

marvious
29-12-2010, 13:55
Skyline - OMG I don't know what to say about this film. Firstly they stole so many ideas from so many films you lose count. Next is the acting, you get the idea of the quality when Turk from Scrubs is in it from the beginning! And then there is the dialogue. But by far the worst thing about this film is the ending. Now I will never give shit away but this just stops mid story. There is at least one more film coming to finish this off apparently, but there is no excuse to stop half way through it doesn't conclude at all. MENTAL.
2/10

ManofScience
05-01-2011, 10:07
TRON - LEGACY

Typed up elsewhere but had to share with u guys;

HOLY FCKING SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!

went to see this at the 3D IMAX in gateshead, then again the next night it was so good!

WOW. OK, the 3D isn't that impressive - but who cares. Visually, stunning, it's looks like nothing else, breathtaking scenes, reminisent of blade runner. Audio? Daft Punk soundtrack totally makes it. Music was awesome in parts, really really played some of the scenes up.

I'm a geek for the original and LOVED it, saw it loads when it first came out and i was 7 or 8, made me want to get into computers - so maybe i'm biased but it continued the story great, fitted perfectly, didn't seem like it was a fudged story just to get some extra life out of the franchise. Story was great, jeff bridges was spot on reprising that role, i really felt the bond between them. no slow bits.

Got to be seen on a big screen, really loud - blow u away.

Can not recommend it enough. 10/10 for me. AMAZING. worth every penny i paid. (the 2nd time anyway, 1st time i got in for nowt) This will be the 1st and probably ONLY Bluray i buy. ( i did get Blade Runner Bluray for a birthday present but it's sat unwatched due to it also being on the media centre)